Awaken your senses and learn how to be a forest detective—with Peter Wohlleben, New York Times-bestselling author of The Hidden Life of Trees.
When you walk in the woods, do you use all five senses to explore your surroundings? For most of us, the answer is no—but when we do engage all our senses, a walk in the woods can go from pleasant to immersive and restorative. Forest Walking teaches you how to get the most out of your next adventure by becoming a forest detective, decoding nature’s signs and awakening to the ancient past and thrilling present of the ecosystem around you.
- What can you learn by following the spread of a root, by tasting the tip of a branch, by searching out that bitter almond smell?
- What creatures can be found in a stream if you turn over a rock—and what is the best way to cross a forest stream, anyway?
- How can you understand a forest’s history by the feel of the path underfoot, the scars on the trees along the trail, or the play of sunlight through the branches?
- How can we safely explore the forest at night?
- What activities can we use to engage children with the forest?
Throughout Forest Walking, the authors share experiences and observations from visiting forests across North America: from the rainforests and redwoods of the west coast to the towering white pines of the east, and down to the cypress swamps of the south and up to the boreal forests of the north.
With Forest Walking, German forester Peter Wohlleben teams up with his longtime editor, Jane Billinghurst, as the two write their first book together, and the result is nothing short of spectacular. Together, they will teach you how to listen to what the forest is saying, no matter where you live or which trees you plan to visit next.
Called a “veritable tree whisperer” by the Wall Street Journal, Peter Wohlleben is one of the world’s most notable foresters and a passionate advocate for tree conservation. Wohlleben lives in Germany, where he manages an ecologically conscious forest and runs a Forest Academy for education and advocacy. His books are bestsellers in countries around the world.
Greystone Books, 2022